6 THINGS YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT DEVELOPING A READING CULTURE

By Omugbe prisca - January 16, 2019


For a while I struggled with following through on a book, I either stopped half way or two chapters into the book. This became an issue of concern to me because I could remember vividly while growing up; I almost read all the stories on lantern series. I realized that I started reading 16 books in 2018 but only finished one. I knew a self check was needed so I asked myself some candid questions and also made some research.

In the next few paragraphs I would be sharing helpful tips that I discovered which will keep your reading habit intact all through the year and even beyond.


1. UNDERSTAND YOURSELF
You have to first of all understand what inspires you, what interests you and what works for you. Do you prefer reading a book where the author drives his point home in form of storytelling or probably citing examples? Or do you prefer books with just facts and data? For me, I love reading books where the author drives home their points by citing examples and also in form of storytelling.

2. ENJOY WHAT YOU READ
You shouldn’t place yourself under pressure. You don’t always have to read what is trending especially when you don’t enjoy it. Read books that you enjoy, books that inspire you, books that spark up something in you and books you can connect with. Avoid reading boring books.


3. IDENTIFY YOUR NEED PER TIME
As human beings, our needs vary per time. At every point in time there is a book that meets a need. Reading the book that meets your need helps you stay committed to reading that book. I remember a time I really had the longing to build my faith but I couldn’t really lay my hands on any faith based book. I stumbled on a book about making marriage work, though I read the book a little, I didn’t finish it because it was not meeting my need at the time even though it was a very insightful book. I recall another time I wanted to know more about business, finance and investment; I read the book “Business of the 21st century” which I almost finished before my phone was stolen. This book met the need at that particular time because it was an eye opener to most of the things I needed to know.


4. KNOW YOUR READING STYLE
Know what works for you. Some people have a particular reading area which makes them feel comfortable while reading while others don’t have. For me, I love to read especially non-academic books lying down on a sofa with my head on the arm of the sofa but for some serious study especially academic books I would prefer my reading table and chair. Some people prefer lying on the bed while others will prefer staying outdoors. Find what works for you and stick to it.


5. KNOW WHAT FORM OF BOOK YOU PREFER
I enjoy reading eBooks but I easily get distracted especially reading from my phone even after I tried several times to discipline myself but it didn’t work, so I decided to stick to reading more of hard copy books. Yours could be eBooks, just go with what will help you develop a consistent reading culture.


6. JOIN A BOOK CLUB
I didn’t know much about book clubs not until I visited a family member in 2018. I observed how my cousins wife read at every spare moment she had; I was also thrilled at how eager she was every Sunday to attend her book club. This inspired me to think of joining a book club. A book club will help you develop a good reading culture; expose you to various book reviews and discussion. I highly recommend it.


CONCLUSION
Jim Rohn said “reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary”. You can’t afford to be an ordinary person, because the more you read the more you know. Remember that knowledge is power and power makes you stand out.

I hope this piece was quite educating and to hesitate to drop your contributions in the comment box.

Thanks for reading 😀

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. Well written, this is surely helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I would agree on some point about reading based on interest and style of author, but frankly it will never drive achievement, you know why, not all reading is engaged for pleasure and certainly not all reading is also for education, but I bet the man who reads for pleasure can also read to be enlightened when necessity drives him, a hard lesson for Ben Carson in his book the "The gifted hands" without any form of disregard to people's view I would say reading should be ingrained_ deeply cultivated. You know what? One author I never read very much in many years yet very close is Bishop Oyedepo my prophet probably like you said had driven points when I preferred bubble gums-candy-coated stories along, but that kept me from truly knowing what I should have known many years back, I read almost every one author that he would mention, but when these authors do only write on certain subjects I was limited, I did not buy up to 25 of his book in about 10 years how humorous, but the point is we should identify when reading is not for pleasure and take the discipline to study it with authors who are hard driven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a lovely contribution. Glad to have you stop by.

      Delete
  3. Awesome structure to your blog. To add, I'd like to say habits are crucial to whatever venture. For a reader, you have to develop the habit of reading and surround yourself with reader - towards building an environment that encourages you to read. I leep books around. I take books with me in case I am stuck in traffic. And before the sun sets, I am done with a book. Other times, I read short pieces instead of everything in a gulp. Thanks for this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written article. It's quite helpful and timely too. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Prinny this is a good piece proud of you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwnnnn thanks a bunch. Am glad you found the piece insightful

      Delete