THE 11:30 PM DILEMMA

By Omugbe prisca - November 09, 2021


Not Again! 

Suddenly, all the sockets in my apartment went off at 11:30 PM. This happened 2 months ago, and it took 2 days to fix it. Now I am filled with regrets that if I had not gone to toast bread at 11:30 PM, this would not have happened. Before you judge me and call me a nightcrawler and food scavenger, let me explain.

I had a very busy Saturday. I woke up at 6:00 AM, did my devotion, and zoomed on my reading table to attend to some pending emails before setting out for the day. I finally left the house by 9:00 AM to make my hair 😊 and went to the market as there was a need for me to restock. I got home tired. 

I immediately fixed something to eat (my first meal for the day) and I was on my laptop again helping a friend review some of her articles. Before I could say jack, it was 6:00 PM. I had several things I had to strike out of my to-do list before Monday, so I knew I would be working late into the night. I decided to take a nap (not sure this was a nap oh) and woke up by 9:00 PM. I took some water and headed to my reading table. 

At about 10:00 PM, I started to feel some rumbling in my stomach and knew I needed to have something to eat. Went to the kitchen, fried some eggs, cut some veggies, and melted some cheese. I wanted to take my toasted bread hot and enjoy it with some hot Cadbury chocolate. I decided to take a bath so I would enjoy my meal well (I don't know who else does all these preps for eating). The plan was to toast the bread after I took my bath and boil a kettle of water for my tea, but my hopes were dashed as I turned on the toaster and all I heard was a banging sound. At that moment, I knew something had happened. The fridge had gone off, the microwave refused to come up, and I heard that battery low sound from my laptop. I knew it was over. All the sockets had gone off, there was no wifi and no way to charge my laptop. All my plans were ruined for the night. 

Looking at my bread, eggs, veggies, and cheese sitting pretty on the toaster, I wished I never adhered to my hunger cravings. I was filled with lots of emotions. I was pissed, filled with regrets, and wished I had charged my laptop while using it. This made me start to think of what life would be like if the internet and electricity went off for a day and our phones, laptops, and tabs were also taken away. What would life be like and what would you be doing for that period? I can only imagine how gadgets, electricity, and the internet have become part of our existence as human beings.

Here I am unable to sleep because I can't sleep immediately after eating. Oh yes, I ate the supposed toasted bread.

What are your thoughts?

What would you do if the internet, electricity, and all gadgets were taken away for a day?

I would love to read your thoughts in the comment section.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments